Bernhard Paul "Buddy" Elias (2 June 1925 – 16 March 2015) was a Swiss actor and president of the Anne Frank Fonds, the foundation dedicated to preserving the memory of his cousin Anne Frank.
Bernhardt Paul Elias
2 June 1925
|Died||16 March 2015 (aged 89)|
|Relatives||Otto Frank (maternal uncle)|
Anne Frank (maternal first cousin)
Margot Frank (maternal first cousin)
Elias was born in Frankfurt am Main in Germany in 1925. His mother Helene Frank (Leni) was Otto Frank’s youngest sister and Anne Frank's paternal aunt. His father, Erich Elias, became head of the Basel-based Opekta company in 1929 and Bernhard moved there in 1931.
In 1947 he joined Holiday on Ice and was with them for over ten years and later acted on stage in Switzerland, Great Britain, France, and Germany. In the mid-1970s, he appeared increasingly in film and television, mainly in Holocaust-themed productions.
Elias was the first cousin and last-surviving close relative of Holocaust diarist Anne Frank, who died in the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp in February or March 1945. The Anne Frank Fonds is responsible for the rights of Franks' Diary of a Young Girl, which until his death in 1980 had been headed by her father, Otto Frank. As president of the Fonds, Buddy Elias decided to bring together the estates of the Frank-Elias family in the Jewish Museum Frankfurt.
Elias lived with his wife, Gerti Elias (née Wiedner), in Basel, where he died on 16 March 2015. The couple had two sons, Patrick and Oliver, who became actors.
- 1979: Drei Damen vom Grill (TV-series)
- 1979: David
- 1979: The Magician of Lublin
- 1981: Wie der Mond über Feuer und Blut
- 1981: Charlotte
- 1982: The Magic Mountain
- 1982: Kassettenliebe
- 1983: Das Traumschiff
- 1987: Die Schwarzwaldklinik
- 1987: Peng! Du bist tot!
- 1989–1992: Mit Leib und Seele (ZDF TV-series)
- 1990: Die Frosch-Intrige
- 1991: Bronstein's Children
- 1993: Wolffs Revier
- 1995: Mutters Courage
- 1998: Totalschaden
- 1999: St. Angela
- 1999: Tatort (part Bienzle und die lange Wut)
- 2002: Edel & Starck (part Das Soufflé der Götter)
- 2004: Bella Block (part Hinter den Spiegeln)
- 2004: Was nützt die Liebe in Gedanken
- 2006: Alles Atze (part Die Rückkehr des Lehrers)
- 2009: Hunkeler und der Fall Livius
- 2014: The Monuments Men
- Die Abenteuer des Odysseus. Buch Jürgen Knop, Director Ulli Herzog, 1982.
- Hugo Rendler: Finkbeiners Geburtstag. Radio-Tatort, SWR 2010.
- Bibi Blocksberg: Ein verhexter Urlaub
- Benjamin Blümchen as Rudi Rundleder.
- ^ Ehrenplakette Archived 2015-04-02 at the Wayback Machine auf Frankfurt.de
- ^ Buddy Elias im Gespräch mit Christian Düblin Archived April 2, 2015, at the Wayback Machine (2008)
- Andreas Kotte, ed. (2005). "Buddy Elias". Theaterlexikon der Schweiz (TLS) / Dictionnaire du théâtre en Suisse (DTS) / Dizionario Teatrale Svizzero / Lexicon da teater svizzer [Theater Dictionary of Switzerland]. 1. Zürich: Chronos. p. 528. ISBN 978-3-0340-0715-3. LCCN 2007423414. OCLC 62309181.
- Works by or about Buddy Elias in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Buddy Elias at IMDb
- Buddy Elias at his agency
- „Erinnerungen vom Dachboden“, Interview, Einestages, 28. Februar 2012 (in German)
- Website of the Frank Family Center at the Jewish Museum Frankfurt containing a video interview with Buddy Elias.
- biography (in German)
- Obituaries (in German): FAZ, spiegel.de, sueddeutsche.de